Friday, April 7, 2017

"If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn." - Ignacio ‘Nacho’ Estrada

(April 5, 2017. 12:10 - 1:45 PM)

I think a boat would have been more practical than my little car coming to CCHS today. This is reflected in the near-empty classroom of just five soggy students.
The girl from the last two weeks (we'll call her E) is here and ready to ask questions. Today's math was the FOIL method "back in my day," but Common Core is here and it's a different process, but the same goal.
So we're both learning today. And most days, to be honest.
E walks me through what she's done. She looks at me expectantly in the gloomy room (it looks like the end of times may have gotten a head start outside). I'll be enlisting the teacher's guide and answer sheet today. Magic paper in hand, we check her work. She's a brilliant student, but she's a little confused by the massive expanse of steps in this mathematical endeavor.
"How about we walk through some together?" I suggest. E nods in agreement. Having internalized the magic answer paper, I go through a problem slowly, asking her if she's got it every few steps. Our stumbling journey through problem number three complete, she leans back, grinning.
"You make so much sense. That's a lot easier. I didn't get it when she (Ms. S) taught it," she says matter-of-factly. A pause. "Thank you!" E happily chimes.
"Are you good to do the rest on your own and holler with any questions or...?" I ask.
"Yep!"
"Okay! I'll check on you in a little bit." R had come in while E and I were battling the polynomial beast and so I go over to her.
"Hey R! I missed you! How are you?"
R smiles. "Fineee," she draws out.
"Ready to do some math?"
"No." No hesitation or playfulness there.
"Okay... but we have to do math, so," I trail off, reaching for the worksheet.
She's unhappy. "I don't like this stuff."
"But you've done most of them already?" Her worksheet is more than halfway finished. I'm confused. She explains that she has an app that takes pictures of the problem and quickly solves them for you. Darn.
"R... You're not going to have your phone on the test, dear. We need to know how to do this." I start slowly taking her through the problems. She's immediately frustrated, but I gently work with her through some problems. Noticing that by her demeanor that if I push for more work right now, the rest of the half hour left will carry on without her participation. "Let's take a break as soon as we finish this problem, okay?" We finish (with all the delicacy of a bomb technician) and I give her some space.
"How's it going, E?"
"Good! It's so easy now!"
That's exciting. Navigating the torrential downpour was worthwhile.
Ms. S has been somewhere else, but she comes back now, announcing she's going to start today's lesson. It looks like now we'll be learning a whole new method.
I feel like a tiny student again, paper and pencil in hand, learning alongside E. I've never seen this before. In fact, I don't think I've even seen any relative of this new mathematical nuisance. But I'll learn it and then I'll teach it. And I do.
I work enthusiastically with E and gently with R. We make progress, but R's frustration peaked in a small but dramatic burst as she quit for the day. Only five minutes left in class, so I almost made it.
The bottom of the sky is falling out, so I wait to leave. I don't feel like swimming to my car. Ms. S notices this and strikes up conversation, asking why I want to be a math teacher. I laugh (oops).
"I'm an English and English Education major."
Her eyes widen. "What? Really? You should teach math." The conversation continues along this line. It's honestly so validating to listen to her.
The rain is starting to slow (but still enough to navigate a canoe through). I want to ask Ms. S about R before I leave, so I politely shift the topic. "Is everything okay with R? She's brilliant and a sweet girl, but she just wasn't having it today. She was so frustrated- I'm concerned."
Ms. S laughs. "You've had more success with her than most. She's blown up on me one day, screaming at me, then been just fine with me the next day. She has a disorder; don't worry about it. She stayed with you longer than she would have with anyone else."
The rain is still ferocious outside but at this, I'm sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment